Before jQuery whenever it came to animation or sliding, the only thing that came into everyone's mind was Flash. But after jQuery one is totally ignoring using flash wherever possible. The main reason behind this is not that jQuery is the best over flash, but the implementation of jQuery over flash is better, easy and quick. Whenever one needs to place any flash content in their website, the client browser must be supportive to show the content of the flash. i.e. A Flash player is always needed. Now as the flash player is needed, what happens is that the control for that content is given to the flash player by the browser and hence the third party comes into existence costing the speed of the website. So if the browser is not fully able to load the content of a web page by its own, and requires some other application to show some part of the page, it will definitely take more time to load the page. And what about the users who do not have flash player in their browser at all? They will first need to download it as an add-on and then will be able to serf the page fully, which definitely lessens the interest of the visitor.
That's the reason you would see the jQuery more and flash less in the recent websites. Flash is totally becoming or I can say became obsolete from the world of Web. Now one would prefer Flash only they have a special requirement of the need of the action scripts. Other than this don't expect the anymore use of the Flash in the websites now a days.
Few advantages of jQuery over flash are:
1) jQuery is compatible with every browsers.
2) jQuery is also compatible with iPhone, iPad, cell phones etc. which Flash is not.
3) jQuery is very less in size and on jQuery can create as many animations and sliding and other effects. But in the case of Flash you will need individual flash files for every animations and sliding.
4) jQuery is a freeware, whereas if someone wants to develop something in Flash they would need to purchase a Flash Development Suite.
5) Flash files are always large in size. Where jQuery file is less than 60kb in size.
These are very few, but the list is very long. There is only two disadvantages of jQuery over Flash are there
1) jQuery does not give high 3D effects and,
Few examples of the jQuery artwork like flash are given below: